Sunday 7 August 2011

THE WORD ON SUNDAY!

LAst week we learnt that katakana was used to write borrowed words, this week I wanted to use hiragana but to help learn actual Japanese I'll start off with something really basic!

It's a word which is thrown about a lot now and it means cute! Kawaii!! A 4 syllable word in Japanese, and as each syllable equals a character we can break it into 4 characters. KA WA I I

かわいい
か わ い い
Ka Wa I I
Kawaii

Now how about we learn a sentence or 2?

It is cute
Kawaii desu
かわいい です

It is cute, isn't it?
Kawaii desu ne
かわいい です ね

As for the unicorn, it is cute or that unicorn is cute
Yunikon wa kawaii desu
ユニコーン は かわいい です

You may have noticed I said there is a wa after unicorn in the last sentence but the Japanese has は which can't be wa as we used wa in kawaii. It's because in the last sentence wa was a particle, a topic marker. It was marking the unicorn as the topic of that sentence so in this instance it is written as は (ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment